Monday, May 13, 2013

Bye-Bye Training Wheels...

 I told E last Saturday that it was time to lose the training wheels.  I made her come inside, put on some jeans and a bike helmet.  Jut took off the training wheels while she was changing. We went to the neighboring church's parking lot and started lessons.  She did great.  I didn't have to hardly hang on and I let go the first time after running with her a bit.  She did well.  But, then she hit the center curb and crashed.  She jumped right up and declared, "Just a bit of damage!" and was ready to go again.  I didn't even have to run with her after that...just had to get her started.  She could go 2 or 3 times around the parking lot without stopping by the time we went home.  However, the center curb was still giving her trouble by jumping out in front of her occasionally, but she never really got much 'damage'...didn't even require any bandaids when we got home.

We went back out in the afternoon.  She did wonderful again.  She figured out how to start herself in her second attempt at riding without the extra wheels.  That made my job so much easier.  I didn't have to go to her each time she stopped.  She just got herself going again.  She did great.  Steering was still an issue and she couldn't ride on the sidewalk because she'd run into things and couldn't keep it on the pavement.

However, tonight she mastered it.  Attempt #3 secured mastery!  She could start, stop and go where she wanted.  She was flying.  It was fun to watch her joy at her ability.  She did great.  When we went home, she rode on the sidewalk the whole way without any problems.  I've very proud of how well she did!

Of course, the boys were with us too.  X and C had more fun throwing dirt into the drain...C even thought that eating it was wonderful...crazy boy.

X rode his bike most of the time.  He is a champ on that little bike.  He can zoom around that parking lot almost as fast as E can peddle...sometimes faster, I think.  I love watching him fly down hills.  Balance bikes are awesome!!

The sun was bright and C wanted my hat.  He put it on himself and left it there for a quite a long time.  I thought that he was too adorable not to photograph...even if it was a touch on the large side.









No comments: