Friday, June 1, 2012

Just some ramblings...

Today would have been my grandparents 69th anniversary.  I'm thankful that they won't have to celebrate an anniversary apart.  I'm sure Grandpa had a hard time turning 97 without Grandma breaking the way for him the day before.  An anniversary apart would have probably been even harder.  We celebrate that they'll be dancing together tomorrow as they will be for the rest of eternity.

On Wednesday, the kids and I were looking through some pictures.  We came across a picture of E and my grandparents.  X looked excitedly at the picture and exclaimed, "There's Grandpa and Sissy!"  I asked him who Grandma was and he didn't know.  That hit me hard.  I know that he was just over a year and a half when she passed away but it hasn't even been a year that she's been gone.  It was the first time that X vocalized that he didn't know who she was.  It didn't surprise me but the reality saddens me.

The extension of that thought makes me even sadder.  I wonder how long he'll remember his Grandpa Daron.  It has been 3 months today since he passed.  Does he have any memories of his grandpa?  At the funeral, he didn't understand where Grandpa was...he'd get excited to see him in pictures or look for him out the window at the house, but we've seen Jut's mom several times recently and X never mentions his grandpa.  Part of me thinks I need to do better with plastering pictures around the house, but pictures won't give X memories.  They might help E retain her memories but it won't create memories for a little guy that was just over 2 the last time he saw his grandpa.  He's just so little to have any memories that are his own.  On Thursday, E pulled out a coloring book and showed me a picture that Grandpa Daron colored with her.  She may not have tons of memories that are her own but she does have some.  Poor X and C won't have any.  We talk about Grandpa Daron and try to keep memories of him alive for the kids but do we do enough?  Are we keeping the legacy alive?  All these questions arise just because of one picture...the weight of the responsibility is hard to carry at times.

No comments: