Well, I entered into the world of subbing today. I actually set my alarm this morning...got up before the sun was up and ventured into a classroom that was not my own. I was very hesitant to pick up a job this early in the year. It was still the 'honeymoon' period in the classroom. The students are only 8 days into the new year. I was very worried that routines would not be firmly established. I chose my position carefully. Several jobs were posted for special education settings, but I didn't want to jump right into that kettle of fish. I know those positions are usually super easy or very demanding and I wanted to ease into this whole subbing thing. Yesterday, a middle school language arts position became available in Shepard. Without mulling over it too much, I decided to pick it up. I didn't sleep well last night imagining all the horrible ways that students can torture substitute teachers.
However, today has been a very pleasant surprise! I think that I worked at an at-risk, title 1, urban setting of a school building for entirely too long!! My view of the middle school world might be a tad jaded. I walked in and the office staff was EXCEEDINGLY friendly. The secretary walked me down to my classroom and located the sub plans for me.
I got there plenty early to review the directions for the day and get comfortable in the classroom. The first thing I noticed was how organized this teacher is...kudos to her. The lesson plan was easy to follow and seating charts easy to find. So, the kids starting coming through the hallways. At Central, we all took our stations in the hallway at that time. However, I was the only adult visible in the hallways...and the hallways were so quiet and orderly compared to Central. I was shocked. The kids were kids, but it was a totally different experience here.
My students entered the room...all 17 of them. Can you believe a class size of 17 in the general education setting?! My classes averaged 26ish last year and I had a couple maxed at 32 throughout the year. There are only 22 desks in this room! Crazy!! In hours 1-3, I haven't had a room of 20 students yet.
Anyway, the students got out their lit logs and took their seat with their silent reading books. When the bell rang, they actually started reading. I didn't have to quiet them down or pressure them into working. It was wonderful. They did their work all hour and rarely needed re-direction. I couldn't have asked for a better group of students.
2nd hour wasn't as smooth, but they were still better than my best classes at Central. I have been so impressed. I have 2 hours to go at this point, and I know that afternoon will be more difficult because the students wake up after lunch...but hey, it has been great so far. So, I don't think I'll complain much...even if the afternoon is challenging.
I've been very impressed with Shepard Middle School, so far...the secretary just dropped off copies for the teacher!!! I wish someone would have run my copies for me!!! Well, I did have that experience in Napoleon...but I missed it at Central!
No comments:
Post a Comment